- What is indirect rule and its features?
- What is direct and indirect rule?
- What is an example of indirect rule?
- What is direct and indirect colonial rule?
- What is the difference between direct and indirect water heaters?
- What is direct and indirect speech with examples?
- What is the difference between indirect rule and assimilation?
- Why did British use indirect rule?
- What is indirect control?
- What is indirect system?
- What is the difference between direct and indirect rule quizlet?
- What’s the difference between direct and indirect control?
- What did direct and indirect control have in common?
- What are the merit of indirect rule?
- Who is the father of indirect rule?
What is indirect rule and its features?
Indirect rule was a system of governance used by the British and French to control parts of their colonial empires, particularly in Africa and Asia, through pre-existing indigenous power structures.
These dependencies were often called “protectorates” or “trucial states”..
What is direct and indirect rule?
In contrast, direct rule imposed European leaders, laws, and institutions on indigenous populations. Indirect and direct rule thus had opposite effects on pre-colonial structures of power: indirect rule aimed to preserve them, while direct rule was intended to eradicate and replace them with a new colonial order.
What is an example of indirect rule?
A certain proportion of all revenue was passed on to the colonial government for spending on those services considered best provided by Europeans; health and railways for example. Lord Lugard, Nigeria’s administrator said he saw indirect rule ‘as a road to political independence’.
What is direct and indirect colonial rule?
Direct colonial rule is a form of colonialism that involves the establishment of a centralized foreign authority within a territory, which is run by colonial officials. … The opposite of direct colonial rule is indirect rule, which integrates pre-established local elites and native institutions into the government.
What is the difference between direct and indirect water heaters?
A direct-fired water heater can be heated by propane, oil, or natural gas and has its own burner. … They are more energy-efficient than an indirect water heater because it heats the water itself. Indirect water heaters rely on the furnace or boiler to supply the heat needed for the water.
What is direct and indirect speech with examples?
Direct Speech: He says, “I am ill.” Indirect Speech: He says that he is ill. Direct Speech: She says, “She sang a song.” Indirect Speech: She says that she sang a song.
What is the difference between indirect rule and assimilation?
The difference between the British policy of indirect rule and the French policy of assimilation. French colonies were ruled as provinces of France, British colonies were treated as separate political entities under the rule of the government –on behalf of the British government.
Why did British use indirect rule?
The Existence of a well Established traditional Administration: In many areas of Africa such as Northern Nigeria, the British found well established traditional institutions under the Muslim rulers. … Therefore the British used indirect rule in order to pass government policies to the people.
What is indirect control?
Indirect control means any situation where one person is in a position to act through another person over whom the first person has control due to the legal or economic relationship between the two.
What is indirect system?
An indirect system is a heating system where the heat emitters are not in direct connection with a boiler or district heating system. … The district heating or boiler side of the exchanger is called the primary system.
What is the difference between direct and indirect rule quizlet?
Direct rule sends their own officials to rule, impose on the culture, and use the land for their own colonies. Indirect rule allows local rulers to decide on things, try to groom the kids to be like them, and did allow culture to stay (for the most part).
What’s the difference between direct and indirect control?
1) What is the main difference between Direct and Indirect control? Direct control would have the government ran by officials of the controlling country. If a colony is indirectly ruled, it is still ruled by the natives, but watched over, and still in control of the ruling country.
What did direct and indirect control have in common?
What did indirect control and direct control have in common? They both based government institutions on European styles.
What are the merit of indirect rule?
1. Recognition of traditional chiefs. The Ordinances that were passed by the Legislative Councils over the period of Indirect Rule recognized the importance of native or traditional rulers and the institutions they represented.
Who is the father of indirect rule?
Frederick John Dealtry Lugard, 1st Baron Lugard (1858-1945), was a British imperialist and colonial administrator in Africa. He made significant contributions to the theory and practice of the British colonial policy of indirect rule. Frederick Lugard was born on Jan. 22, 1858, of missionary parents in India.